BLTa—A PERKINS EASTMAN STUDIO
The Bourse was built in 1895 as the first commodities exchange hall in the United States. It was originally a grand, double-height open trading floor supported seven levels of office space surrounding a glass-covered light court above. Over the years, the building evolved into a few iterations of retail and office uses. The building had maintained prominence with its location astride Independence Mall and its handsomely robust exterior, but much of its original interior grandeur was lost or buried with outdated changes over the years. BLTa created and actualized a vision breathing new life into the Bourse, by designing a top-tier food hall with a great variety and density of vendors. A grand entry portico facing Independence Mall was restored by the removal of a mezzanine from prior renovations that had buried prominent original paneled archways. Other substantial original features were found intact. New paint and lighting brightens the space, highlighting both original and new architectural details.